Saturday, April 11, 2009

Turning the Corner



Turning the corner. Getting over the hill. Achieving something that you feel you are close to, but cannot seem to get there.

I cant help but feel that my Magic game has come to that point where I am either going to turn the corner, or stay on the current path I am on.

Its not like I'm in a bad place. I top8 1-2 PTQs a season on average, and consistently do well in my local game. I do feel that the time has come for me to take that "next" step. To "Turn the corner" if you will.

The issue is, I'm not entirely sure the right path. I play 3-4 nights a week IRL, and most other nights on MODO or MWS. I'm active in the boards, and I read nearly every article I can get my hands on. I can generally do an accurate deck critique, and I can usually spot play mistakes when they are made and correct them.

Whats the next step? Playtest more? I'm not really sure.

Any thoughts from the gamers out there?

1 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm in the same boat, if you stumble across the answer lmk.

As far as I know its just play with better people and play like you want it. Learn from you mistakes and be open to any criticism or assistance offered. While I am not the one to say I know the perfect way to make you better I was told something fairly profound during my two youth exchanges,

"Blessed are the flexible, for they will not be bent out of shape"

Of course you wonder how does this apply to getting better. To me being good at magic is consistency, not going on tilt, and rolling with the punches. You win games you shouldn't by thinking in different ways and lose games you wouldn't because you kept a closed mind.

Best of luck in your quest for that next level, mines on a clock and I got months to reach it...Day 2 here i come.

-K